At the end of pregnancy women have very high levels of hormones in their body and after the baby comes women then have very low levels of hormones. Their reaction to the change in levels is what is called Baby Blues.
I really feel that if this would have been explained a little better, I would have been able to cope better. For the first few weeks I cried every day, and most of the time I had no idea why I was crying. My husband did worry about me for a while, because he didn't really know how to handle it. I didn't know how to handle it. I didn't even realize I had it until after my hormones had settled.
I have one younger sister who is only 2 years younger than me, so I was never really around babies. I read several books but I really didn't know what I was doing. Nothing can really prepare you for the sleepless nights, the total responsibility of a new life, etc. Being overwhelmed with all those new adjustments is hard and exhausting. So, please, please, please SLEEP when your baby is sleeping. Especially with your first baby.
A quick note on Postpartum Depression: This is serious feelings of depression, not ever feeling happy, disassociation with the new baby, serious disinterest in things that used to make you happy, and can even be thoughts of hurting yourself or the baby. THIS IS SERIOUS, and can be helped! Pay attention to yourself, pay attention to your thoughts. It might be a little embarrassing to say that you don't have that connection with your baby, but a little embarrassment is far better than hurting yourself or the baby. The connection will come! I know it will! If you need it get help. I think it would be helpful to talk to your spouse before the baby comes to think of ways your spouse can help, maybe a trigger word that can be said to let you know, in a loving way, that you are being a little sensitive and this can hopefully help you realize that you need to talk about how you are feeling or even get away for a few minutes. Go for a drive, go shopping whatever! I know it helps!
I still got Baby Blues with my second baby. I think I didn't really know how to handle a new baby while trying to handle a 2 year old. But I feel like with my third I finally have the hang of it, and Baby Blues didn't effect me quite so much.
I feel like I'm enjoying my third baby a little more, which is kind of sad because I wasn't really prepared for the new situations of the first 2 babies. I feel like I didn't enjoy them quite as much as I could have. So, I say relax and enjoy it! Everything will fall into place!
No comments:
Post a Comment