Everybody knows that a good mother gives her children a feeling of trust and stability. She is their earth. She is the one they can count on for the things that matter most of all. She is their food and their bed and the extra blanket when it grows cold in the night; she is their warmth and their health and their shelter; she is the one they want to be near when they cry. She is the only person in the whole world in a whole lifetime who can be these things to her children.
There is no substitute for her.
- Katharine Butler Hathaway

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Parker: The Self Burper

At first I thought that Parker was just a really difficult burper after nursing! But he's actually very easy! I just hold him up like I would if I were trying to burp him but then do nothing, and as long as he is little bit awake he will almost always burp on his own.
If he is too asleep to burp I will just go put him down and if he really does need to burp or the bubble in his tummy hurts him, then he will usually wake up. He's just awake enough to burp and then go right back to sleep!
I remember doing this for Taylor too, but I worked better for him if when I held him up, I put his arms up over my shoulder like he was flying.
This is a lot less work for me... When Isaac was a baby it would usually take me a half an hour to burp him, and I would try EVERYTHING!!! I would hold him different ways while I pat his back, lie hiim on my lap and pat, roll him around, anything, because a bubble in his tummy usually really hurt him.
I've also found that, at least with my kids, there is a trick to burp them that usually always works.

No comments:

Post a Comment