This talk applies to all relationships, but is specifically addressed to...
Mothers and Daughters by M. Russell Ballard
"There is nothing in this world as personal, as nurturing, or as life changing as the influence of a righteous woman."
- I think I've figured out how to better put into words how I feel as I read these General Conference talks. The reason I love these talks so much is because they make me feel good about what I'm doing as a person and mother, and then gently and subtly motivate me to keep moving forward and upward, to help me become what the Lord has intended for me...
"Young women, your mothers adore you. They see in you the promise of future generations. Everything you accomplish, every challenge you overcome brings them pure joy. And likewise your worries and heartaches are their worries and heartaches."
- This quote reminds me that how I feel about my boys is how my mom feels about me. She loves me. The things I worry about, she worries about. She tried to give me a better life than she had. I am so grateful for her. She had many struggles in her life, and reflecting right at this moment, I am so grateful I don't have to go through those things and hope I never will.
I really like these next couple quotes about things that women struggle with...
"The tongue is an unruly member—hold your tongues about things of no moment”
"As Ralph Waldo Emerson is believed to have said, 'What you do speaks so loud that I cannot hear what you say.' "
" “silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts” (2 Timothy 3:1, 6)."
"Please look to your faithful mothers for a pattern to follow. Model yourselves after them... Look to your mother. matters of the heart and the things of the Lord, she has a wealth of knowledge. As you approach the time for marriage and young motherhood, she will be your greatest source of wisdom. No other person on earth loves you in the same way or is willing to sacrifice as much to encourage you and help you find happiness—in this life and forever."
"Love your mother, my young sisters. Respect her. Listen to her. Trust her. She has your best interests at heart. She cares about your eternal safety and happiness. So be kind to her. Be patient with her imperfections, for she has them. We all do."
- I remember my mom saying, just wait until you have kids and you'll understand how I feel. I remember getting a little annoyed because I knew I didn't understand, but now I do. I know that motherly love that I could and would do anything for my kids.
"Teach your daughters to find joy in nurturing children. This is where their love and talents can have the greatest eternal significance. Consider in this context President Harold B. Lee’s injunction that 'the most important … work you will ever do will be within the walls of your own homes' "
"...the most precious element of a woman’s divine nature—the nature to nurture."
"Mothers, teach your daughters the importance of making covenants, and then show them how to keep those covenants in such a way that they will desire to live worthy to go to the temple."
" ...learn how to recognize the presence and the voice of the Spirit. Teach your daughters about things of the Spirit. Point them to the scriptures. Give them experiences that will help them cherish the blessing of priesthood power in their lives. Through keeping covenants they will learn to hear the voice of the Lord and receive personal revelation. God will truly hear and answer their prayers. The Mutual theme for 2010 applies to our youth as well as to all of us: 'Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the Lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest' (Joshua 1:9). This will lead them safely to the blessings of the house of the Lord.
Make sure they know that keeping covenants is the safest road to eternal happiness. And if needed, teach them how to repent and how to remain pure and worthy."
"...follow the noble example of the faithful followers of Christ."
" ...the home is the most important place to prepare the youth of today to lead the families and the Church of tomorrow... It is in the home where we must teach the gospel by precept and by example."
- There is a very noble and specific call for good women everywhere, to stand a little taller, to stand above the "roar" of the world, and teach true and eternal principles to the rising generation.
No comments:
Post a Comment