Everybody knows that a good mother gives her children a feeling of trust and stability. She is their earth. She is the one they can count on for the things that matter most of all. She is their food and their bed and the extra blanket when it grows cold in the night; she is their warmth and their health and their shelter; she is the one they want to be near when they cry. She is the only person in the whole world in a whole lifetime who can be these things to her children.
There is no substitute for her.
- Katharine Butler Hathaway

Monday, May 16, 2011

31 Days to Better Parenting: Day 13

I remember this talk well from a year ago, probably because I liked the stories so much!


Mother Told Me by Bradley D. Foster





This first little story is so cute, about a Dad reading a picture book to his son. If you haven't heard it, I won't try to summarize, just watch the first few minutes. I love it!


"As President James E. Faust said: 'There is no greater good in all the world than motherhood. The influence of a mother in the lives of her children is beyond calculation.' "


"By divine design, nurturing seems to be part of the spiritual heritage given to women." 
...

- Then another story about mother cows and their baby calves.


"Perhaps the reason we respond so universally to our mothers’ love is because it typifies the love of our Savior. As President Joseph F. Smith said, 'The love of a true mother comes nearer [to] being like the love of God than any other kind of love.' "
- When I heard this is General Conference a year ago, I remember feeling sad because I did not feel that my love typified the love of the Savior. I don't want that! I want my family to know the love of the Savior through me.


Elder Foster said lastly, "I will be eternally grateful that Mother told me."

No comments:

Post a Comment