This wonderful talk is another one of those inspiring talks that motivates me as a parent into action.
That Our Children Might See the Face of the Savior by Cheryl C. Lant
This talk is so good that I highlighted a good majority of it, so here are just a few of my favorites...
"Again the question, how do we do this, especially in a world that is full of distractions? In 3 Nephi, the parents loved the Lord. They were believers. They had faith in the miracles Jesus performed. They loved their children. They gathered them to hear the words of the Lord and obeyed His commandment to bring the children to Him."
- It seems so difficult in the world today to show our children what behavior is best, when they see over and over the "world's behavior" and because it has become so "natural," this way almost seems easier.
Speaking of the Nephite parents in 3 Nephi: "By coming to the Savior and accepting His Atonement, these parents were strengthened to do all that was necessary to 'bring; their children."
- It gives me great reassurance to know that the Lord is on my side (or more accurately I'm on His side and by choosing His side I receive the greatest guidance possible for a parent.)
"We can help them to one day see the face of the Savior as we teach the principles of the gospel and fill our homes with the joy of living them."
- We try to follow the guidelines of holding Family Home Evening, Scripture Study and Family Prayer. I'm also trying to teach them to have personal scripture study and personal prayer but it feels like a lot of the time it is just a battle to get them to sit in one spot. I feel like there is no joy in doing these things. This is something that I really need to work on and get better at.
"We must learn how to love the Lord and our families. This takes time, experience, and faith. It requires selfless service. Then, as we do we are filled with the love of the Lord, we can love."
- As I read this quote the second time, I came to a realization...
This is not talked about much by mothers, but I was one of those moms that did not feel that instant, overwhelming, motherly bond. Of course, I loved my little bundles of joy, but it took a little while to feel that intense motherly love. I learned to love my children, just as they learned to love and trust me. This quote made me realize that I love my children, but I need to continue to learn to love my children. They are growing and changing, and so must my love.
Do I allow myself to be filled with the love of the Lord? I know that as I learn to love the Lord and am filled with His love, I can learn to love my children daily, even with the trials and struggles.
"It takes a lot of hard work and patience and faith, but nothing is more important or rewarding. And the Lord will help us, for He loves these children even more tan we do. He loves them, and He will bless them."
"For we are the ones God has appointed to encircle today's children with love and the fire of faith and an understanding of who they are."
Everybody knows that a good mother gives her children a feeling of trust and stability. She is their earth. She is the one they can count on for the things that matter most of all. She is their food and their bed and the extra blanket when it grows cold in the night; she is their warmth and their health and their shelter; she is the one they want to be near when they cry. She is the only person in the whole world in a whole lifetime who can be these things to her children.
There is no substitute for her.
- Katharine Butler Hathaway
There is no substitute for her.
- Katharine Butler Hathaway
Thursday, May 5, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment